Contact Us


Mon-Fri  9:00am - 6:00pm

Sat          9:30am - 5:00pm

Alberta Health Insurance Card in Calgary

Apply for your Alberta Health Card in Northeast Calgary

East Calgary Registry was one of the first Alberta Registry Agents to begin offering Alberta Health Insurance services in Calgary. We process applications in our office in the order they are received, within 72 hours of receiving a complete application with all supporting documents. If your situation is an emergency, please let us know. In certain cases we may be able to process your Alberta Health Care card more quickly. Unfortunately, the Government of Alberta no longer allows us to provide a temporary health care card on the spot. 

Adding a Dependent or Spouse to your Alberta Health Care card.

In Alberta, all immediate family members (i.e. married partners and dependent children) must be included on the same account. Therefore, if you are arriving from outside of Alberta and your spouse or parent is already covered under Alberta Health, you will actually add yourself to their account. In this case, it’s easiest to bring the account holder in with you so we can update the account. You will need to fill out an AHCIP Add a Member form. It is available in our office at the forms counter, on the wall to the left immediately after you walk in the door. 

Moving to Alberta from Out of Country

Generally speaking, if you are new to Canada and arriving directly to Alberta, your Alberta Health coverage will begin immediately. Please bring in the documents below along with the New Application Form. These forms are also available in our office.

Moving to Alberta from Out of Province

When moving between provinces in Canada, there is a three month waiting period, during which time you are covered under the health care plan of your originating province. This is based on an agreement between all provinces in Canada. You can apply for Alberta Health Care anytime during this waiting period, but the effective date will be the first day of the third month after your arrival in Alberta. During this waiting period, you may have to pay your health provider out of your own pocket and then apply to your home province for reimbursement, but it’s best to ask the health provider before the start of service – some providers may be able to direct bill to other provinces. Please bring in the documents below along with the AHCIP New Application. These forms are also available in our office.

Updating Your Health Account

Even though Alberta Health no longer sends statements of account, it’s really important that Alberta Health Services has your current contact information. When you move, change your name, phone number, marital status, etc. please let us know so that we can change your information in the Health database. You will need to fill out an AHCIP Update Form, which you can get in our office.

Lost Alberta Health Cards

The fastest way to get a replacement Alberta Health Card is to call Alberta Health directly by phoning 780 427-1432. You can dial toll free by dialing 310-0000 first. They are open 8:15-4:30 Monday-Friday. Alternatively, you can write to request a replacement card:

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan

P.O. Box 1360 Station Main

Edmonton, AB T5J 2N3

Deleting a Member

Divorce requires deletion of the spouse from the account. Separated partners may choose to remain on the same account or to be registered separately. If you have a child or dependent adult child who no longer lives with you or no longer meets the criteria as a dependent child (i.e. graduates from University), please fill out a AHCIP Deletion. If this member still lives in Alberta, he or she will need to fill out a New Application  to create his or her own account.

Waiting Times

We process all Alberta Health applications within three working days of receiving them. Generally speaking, we process applications in the order that we receive them. If you have an urgent situation, please let us know. We have been instructed by Alberta Health NOT to provide temporary cards. The Alberta Health Care number cannot be provided until Alberta Health issues and mails the official Alberta Health Care card directly to the Albertan.

Required Documents

Certain documents can fulfill two categories. For example, a Canadian passport or PR Card can prove Identity as well as Legal Status in Canada. All documents must be valid. Identity documents with no expiry date must have an issue date no more than 10 years in the past. We may photocopy the documents if the clerk is not able to process your Health Care at the counter. These photocopies are destroyed securely in our office once your application is complete. We cannot accept photocopies of documents. If you don’t have any of the required documents below, please call us at 403 272-5513 to discuss acceptable alternatives or to make a plan to get the documents you need.

Photo ID: Passport (Canadian or other country), Driver’s Licence, PR Card, Citizenship Card (the old ones with photo), Federal Identification Card. All Photo ID must be valid and fully legible. We cannot accept photocopies or ID that is damaged or shows signs of being altered.

Legal Status in Canada: Canadian Birth Certificate, Citizenship Card (the old ones with photo), PR Card, Canada entry documents, Canadian Passport

Proof of Alberta Residency: Current Alberta driver’s licence or ID Card, current Alberta utility statement for an Alberta address, Pay stubs with Alberta address, bank statements (with Alberta address), lease agreement