Contact Us


Mon-Fri  9:00am - 6:00pm

Sat          9:30am - 5:00pm

Class 1, 2, 3, or 4 Commercial or Professional Driver's License in Calgary

Whether you want to drive a school bus, large truck, or simply make some extra cash picking up rides for Uber, if you want to earn money as a driver, you need a commercial driver’s licence. At East Calgary Registry, we offer knowledge and road testing for all commercial licence classes.

Class 1  – Truck with Air Brakes

This is the highest class of licence available in Alberta. A Class 1 driver can operate any type of vehicle, including vehicles with Air Brakes (except for a motorcycle, which requires separate testing and licensing).

Class 2 – Professional Bus

This is the licence required if you want to drive a bus with more than 25 passengers. A Class 2 driver’s licence also allows the driver to operate any vehicle that a Class 3, 4 or 5 licence holder can drive.

Class 3 – Trucks & Machinery Without Air Brakes

The Class 3 driver’s licence allows the driver to operate a single motor vehicle with 3 or more axles. That vehicle may tow a trailer with one or more axles when the trailer is not equipped with air brakes. This type of licence does not allow the driver to operate a vehicle equipped with Air Brakes, unless the driver has an Air Brake endorsement. This type of license allows the driver to operate a vehicle with capacity for no more than 15 people but does not allow the holder to carry passengers for hire.

Class 4 – Taxi, Ambulance or Small Bus

A Class 4 licence allows you to drive a taxi, ambulance or bus (including a school or kindergarten bus) that seats fewer than 25 people including the driver. This is the type of licence you need if you wish to drive for a ride-share company like Uber.