NEW! Renew your Alberta Driver’s Licence in our office or online
You need to renew your Alberta Driver’s Licence every 5 years. You may need to renew more frequently depending on age, health and legal status.
You may be able to renew your Alberta Driver’s Licence online if:
- you are an Alberta resident
- you are between 18 and 75
- there are no restrictions on your account
- your licence has not been expired for 6 months or longer
- you do not require a medical
- there are no demographic changes needed (such as change of name, address, gender, height, etc.)
- the photo and signature on file are less than 10 years old.
- you have a verified My Alberta ID (MADI) account.
In-person Alberta Driver’s Licence Renewal
If you do not meet the above requirements, visit our friendly registry office in Northeast Calgary. You can join the line before you leave home and we’ll text you when it’s almost your turn.
The cost for a 5 year term is $93 and the cost is pro-rated for shorter terms. Normally, a shorter term can only be requested in cases of financial hardship. Your licence will also be renewed for a shorter term if your status in Canada will expire before the end of the 5 year term (i.e. if you are in Canada on a work or study permit).
Your driver’s licence always expires on your birthday, not on the last day of your birth month.
The Government of Alberta no longer mails out reminder letters when your licence is about to expire. Don’t get caught with an expired licence – sign up for an email or text reminder.
Licences expired longer than 6 months
If your licence is expired for more than 6 months, you will need to bring support documents to prove your identity, legal status in Canada and residence in Alberta. Please see this list of acceptable support documents so you know what to bring in with you.
Out of Province Alberta Driver’s Licence Renewal
If you are a resident of Alberta but are outside of the province temporarily, you may be allowed to apply for a Code F Licence renewal. You are only allowed to use this process once, so if you have already renewed using this process, you will not be approved.
You may be eligible for a Code F Licence if one of the following situation applies to you:
- You are a student attending an accredited school on a full time basis outside of Alberta.
- You are a missionary working for an Alberta-based organization
- You are an Alberta residents temporarily vacationing outside of Alberta.
- You are a military personnel (or family of military personnel) stationed outside of Alberta
The fee is $26 for a renewal or $28 for a replacement and you will need to mail us a money order as we are not allowed by the Government of Alberta to take credit card details over the phone.
In addition, please fill out the Alberta Licence Renewal Outside Alberta form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the licence can only be mailed to your address on file, an alternative Alberta address or it can be mailed to a registry for pickup by an authorized individual. It is not possible to have the licence mailed outside of the country.